How do I get different configurations for different frames?
- You need to make a layout for each unique configuration you want. You can use the layout on as many or as few frames as you want. The PitBull4 Guide has details on how to do this.
How do I bind spells to mouse clicks on the frames?
- Use Clique. While other unit frame addons may include this feature, we feel that Clique does this really well and allows you to configure the bindings across any unit frames you may be using, even if you're using different addons for different things.
Why does my health bar turn red while I'm in combat and still have full health?
- This is the aggro module displaying that an enemy is targeting you. You can turn this off for all frames by simply disabling the Aggro module or for specific Layouts by going to the Aggro tab under Other in the Layout editor. It can also be displayed as the frame background if the Background module is enabled or frame border if the Border module is turned on.
I have the Blizzard Player and Target frames set to hide in PitBull4 but they keep turning back, how do I fix this?
- You're probably running HealBot, MetaHud or some other addon that is showing them again. You can configure HealBot to also hide them under Skins, General and have both the Hide party frames and Include player and target boxes checked. Incidentally, the other authors could keep track of which frames their addon hid and stop showing frames they didn't hide and thus stop overriding other addons settings.
How do I turn Portraits on or off?
- In the Layout editor for the layout you want to change under the Indicators tab, there will be a Portrait tab. The Enable checkbox will toggle the Potrait.
I see a dark rectangle above my unitframe. How to remove that?
- The default background color of the Totems module is dark gray. The remove that background you can change the color (and more importantly: the alpha value) of the main background color of the Totems module.
I want to copy and paste colors between layouts so that I can ensure they are exactly the same, how?
- The Ace3 color picker setup doesn't have support for that feature, however there is an addon that adds it called Enhanced Colour Picker.
Where is the setting to hide or unhide default Blizzard features?
- go to /pb > Modules > Hide Blizzard Frames
My settings just got reset, how can I get them back?
- If you have not logged out of the game since you've noticed this you have a chance to recover them. First you need to find your WTF folder which will be under your WoW install ("C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF" for XP users, "/Applications/World of Warcraft/WTF" for OS X users and "computer\[user name]\users\public\games\World of Warcraft\WTF" for Vista and WIndows 7 users. Vista and Windows 7 users may want to see this post on the UI & Macros forums for help finding their config files as they can be stored differently depending on how your WoW install is setup. Under the WTF folder PitBull4's configuration files will be saved in the following path "Account/[USERNAME]/SavedVariables/PitBull4.lua" You are however, looking for PitBull4.lua.bak. Copy this file out say onto your desktop. Vista and Windows 7 users may want to verify the date to make sure it's recent and if not may want to review the linked post above. Once you have the correct file copied out. Now you can quit WoW. Now copy the PitBull4.lua.bak file that you just put onto your desktop over the PitBull4.lua file in the SavedVariables folder. Log into the game and you should have your settings back. Unfortunately, if you've already logged out of the game the .lua.bak file will have been replaced with the damaged file that was read when you logged in and the .lua file is now a copy of the reset settings you had when you logged out. If you have a backup of your computer you can use that to recover a previous version of the .lua file and get your settings back to whatever they were at that time. Without a backup and if you've already logged out of the game the settings are gone and there's nothing that can be done to restore them.
Why do my settings get lost?
- Mostly this is out of the control of PItBull4. The settings are stored in the SavedVariables files by the game itself. We have no control over when it decides to write the files or it's error handling. In particular the game writes the files when you log out of your character. There are a number of circumstances that can damage or reset your settings. If your hard drive is full or near full when you log out of the game, you can lose our settings with no warning or error appearing at all. If your hard drive or filesyste is damaged settings files may be corrupted, corrupted settings files will often not be read properly and will result in a reset. If the game is forceably quit while it is already exiting (and thus writing these files) some of these files may be only partially written, again causing reset of the settings. In rare cases we may need to change a default in PitBull4 that may change some of your settings, but at this point in development these changes will usually be done as transparently as possible for you. They will most certainly not be causing a full reset of your settings. We will not be doing intentional resets of settings. There is the likelihood that we will need to do settings format changes that are incompatible with older versions, the newer versions will upgrade your settings to this new style and you will be unable to downgrade to an older version. Any default or configuration format changes will be mentioned in the changelog in detail.
How do I backup/restore my config file?
- First you need to find your WTF folder which will be under your WoW install ("C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF" for XP users, "/Applications/World of Warcraft/WTF" for OS X users and "computer\[user name]\users\public\games\World of Warcraft\WTF" for Vista and WIndows 7 users. Vista and Windows 7 users may want to see this post on the UI & Macros forums for help finding their config files as they can be stored differently depending on how your WoW install is setup. Under the WTF folder PitBull4's configuration files will be saved in the following path "Account/[USERNAME]/SavedVariables/PitBull4.lua" You may wish to periodically backup the entire WTF folder, as all your addon settings are stored here. However, the Pitbull4.lua file is sufficient to backup PitBull4.lua. To restore all you need to do is replace the file with the copy you've made previously and log back into the character.
Raid and Party Frames
How do I make raid frames?
- You need to create a raid group under Groups. The PitBull4 Guide has details on how to do this.
How do I turn the default Raid/Party frames on/off?
- Go to Modules > Hide Blizzard Frames and uncheck or check the box next to the raid/party frames to turn on and off the Blizzard frames and Raid manager. If you would like to use the Blizzard raid manager with PB4 frames, this should be set so that they are not hidden here, and use the "Hide" button on the Raid Manager window.
How do I have frames for the Main Tanks in my raid group?
- You do this by creating a raid group and setting the filter to Main Tank. The PitBull4 Guide has details on how to do this.
How do I leave gaps in my Raid Frames when sorted by Group for empty spots in a particular sub-group?
- You have to make a group for each sub-group within the raid (e.g. Raid 1, ..., Raid 8). You can set the Filter Type under the Filtering tab for the group to By raid group and then only select the sub-group you want that group to show.
Sometimes my raid frames disappear on me, how can I fix this?
- Under your raid groups settings make sure you have the proper settings checked on the Filtering tab under Show when.
How can I disable the timer showing how long until my PVP flag drops?
- Go to the layout you're using on your player frame in the Layout editor. Go to the Texts tab and choose the Lua:PVPTimer or PVPTimer text, uncheck the Enable checkbox.
How can I change the way health is displayed?
- Go to the layout for the frame you want to change the health text for in the Layout editor. Go to the Texts tab and choose the Lua:Health or Health text. There are several pre-written formats for you to choose from in the Code dropdown with names starting with Health. If you can't find what you want you can consider looking on the LuaTexts or DogTagTexts threads on the forums.
Why did LuaTexts replace DogTagTexts as the default?
- For most users LuaTexts can provide the same functionality with better performance.
How can I use DogTag instead of LuaText?
- You just need to turn on the DogTagTexts module which is disabled by default. Unless you want to use some DogTagTexts and some LuaTexts you may want to consider turning off LuaTexts. You can find the Enable checkbox for both of these modules in the Modules section of the configuration screen.
My text doesn't seem to be placed where I told it to be placed?
- If your text is sharing the same position with another text it will be shifted even if the other text is empty. This is a known limitation of our layout system. Changing it would require triggering layout updates on text updates, which would have a negative performance impact that wold not be desirable.
How can I control the spacing of the texts between each other and their anchor points?
- Texts are actually laid out with Indicators. The spacing, padding an margin options in the Layout editor under the General tab of the Indicator tab apply to texts.
Auras (Buffs and Debuffs)
How do I turn Blizzards default Auras on/off?
- go to /pb Modules> Hide Blizzard Frames A checked box for Buffs/Debuffs will hide the Blizzard frames. An unchecked box will show them. Be aware that there may be other add ons that overwrite the Blizzard Buff/Debuff frames as well, so if this does not correct the issue, check with other add ons.
How can I disable Auras for some frames and not others?
- You need to make a new layout for each frame you want to have a different configuration. The PitBull4 Guide has details on how to do this.
How do I stop OmniCC from displaying cooldown timers on my Auras?
- OmniCC includes its own Blacklist configuration you can prevent timers from displaying on PitBull4 cooldown spinners by Blacklisting: PitBull4_Cooldown_
How can I filter auras to only show auras I can cast or auras that I actually did cast?
- Go to the layout for the frame you want to do this for. Under the Aura tab go to Filters and choose Default buffs or Default debuffs to show auras that your class can cast. You can choose Default buffs, mine or Default debuffs, mine for auras that you actually did cast.
My class has a aura that isn't properly being handled by the Default filters.
- Please open a ticket. You can locally add this by going to Modules, Aura, Aura filter editor and adding them to the appropriate list (Friend buffs, Friend debuffs, or Enemy debuffs).
How do I add debuffs (e.g. Penetrating Cold from the Anub'arak encounter) to the Highlight system?
- Go to Modules, Aura, Aura filter editor. Type the name of the debuff into the Add friend highlight box. Note the name must be exact, including case.
How can I make my own filters?
- The entire filtering system is exposed under Modules, Aura, Aura filter editor, Advanced. You can make your own filters that can do virtually anything. However, with this power the system is fairly complicated. The Simple tab lets you add or remove things from the default filters without needing to get into the complicated filtering system. You can find a good overview of the system in the post made about it when it was first added. There's also another post explaining how to mix other filtering with the Default filtering sytem.
Can I have frames hidden based on combat stats/who is targeted?
- No. Generally we can't hide and show frames in combat. So while we can make frames transparent, they will still be there and will still be clickable. At some point in the future we may implemented a fairly complicated SecureStateHandler that would allow some of these things to be done based on macro conditionals. But this has not been implemented at this time.
Just started using the addon and love the look. I am trying to look up some info on debuffs. The links to the guide generates a blank page.
I just wanted to put debuffs on top of frames and buffs on the bottom. The buffs show up correctly w/o me having to do anything. I just want the debuffs on top. I also wanted to have the same thing show up on the boss/target frames, in the same fashion.
I love this addon! I am having an issue tho. I am a warlock and my dots on the target are so tiny! I have made my own buffs bigger but I can not figure out how to make the dots bigger on my targets unit frame.