I know it's been a while since I posted my last status update for the project. I apologize for the silence, but we're nearing payday!
So now, after several months of intensive development I want to bring to you guys the first release candidate for the 2.1 line.
Well, almost everything! Well, almost.
What were the issues again?
Here is a brief recap of what I posted in my last announcement as some of the major issues.
* Ignoring manual deletions * Installing over addons * Downgrading addons * UI feedback failures * Poorly worded options and button text * Too much automation in some places, too little automation in others * Lack of features that are considered defacto standards * General reliability
Now let's talk about what we did about them.
What we did about them!
The UI has gone through some major overhauls. Hrm, how can I explain this......
The old client
The new client
There are more changes than can be seen in that screenshot, but I think it gives a rough idea.
Well we didn't get everything I talked about in the last message done. Here's the list. I've struck through things we've finished. Things that are works in progress I'm marking with italics.
Alternate Packages- It's back! * Dependency Resolution* Manual Deletion Detection* Alpha Support* Multiple Game Support- Even over network drives! * Version Pinning * Submodule support * Saved Variable Scrubber - It's not 100% tested and polished yet. * Automated and Manual Backups * Real Configuration Box- The game manager takes the place of most options. * Deletion before upgrade* Uninstalled Package Listing- It's the unknown addon listing.
We'll be finishing things up as soon as possible.
Changed Behaviors & Methods
- Discovery and Detection of versions
- If anything we're too conservative now. We've gone through extraordinary pains to make sure that we know exactly which version of the addon you're using. If we don't know, we don't touch it. It can still get a little confused sometimes, mainly if an addon is shared by more than one project. We'll be working out a tweak for that situation shortly.
- Changes to Defaults
- Yep they got changed. You may not like some of them, but you shouldn't find them offensive!
- Popup Questions
- Well, 99% of the time you'll never see a popup question. Unless you're doing something that you can't undo. Like deleting an addon. We don't want a misclick to make you a sad panda...
The Mac Version
Do you want the good or the bad news first?
I'll start with the bad. It's not here.
The good news is, we're now actively getting it ready for it's first night out. I can't promise exactly when just yet, but Soon has never been so close. I hope to start leaking alphas out next week, but again I can promise nothing!
The one thing I don't think anyone can argue with is that this client is hands down superior to it's predecessor. There is not a doubt in my mind regarding that.
Is it perfect? Of course not. Are there bugs? Sadly, yes I'm sure there are. However, there was no way we could justify continuing to hold back this update and letting people continue to use the old version.
We're looking for feedback as we're getting ready to put this out there to all 700k+ users in the next few weeks. Please use the ticket tracker I'm going to link below to report any feedback. But please, try and see if the ticket already exists.
I also want to apologize to all you guys who've been struggling with the 22.214.171.124 client for so long. Support on it has been weak to non existent, I'm going to be keeping a tabs on things much much closer with the new client in order to ensure that the same backlog doesn't happen with this one.
So guys, last thing I'm going to tell you is how to get the new client. So make sure to check the link section below!
- Date created
- Feb 04, 2009
- Last updated
- Feb 04, 2009