Posted by wishfire Apr 12, 2012 at 21:21 UTC
The Curse Client is undergoing a gigantic overhaul, and we need you to test the changes! This will be one of the largest updates the Client has seen -- as such, suggestions are also appreciated!
If you'd like to help out, head to testclientupdate.curse.com, and install this test Client. Please be sure to close the regular Curse Client when testing this one! As almost everything has been changed or updated, every facet of this new Client needs to be tested. Some primary examples include:
<div>Please send any and all feedback or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any and all are encouraged to help us improve our Client for the better! </div>
- Installing new addons, as well as installing many addons at a time
- Update / Uninstalling existing addons
- Search My Addons / Get More Addons, as well as the search filter
- Viewing Changelog, Description, author links, and web site
- Saved Game Sync
- Scanning for games
- Start Game button
- Update All
- UI Wizard and addon settings cleaner
Posted by Kaelten Oct 15, 2008 at 04:24 UTC
Ok guys, I'm sure many of you have noticed a few outages.
The first one was due to maxing out our rack's outbound trunk connection. We scrambled to have them run more capacity and now we're doing much better.
The second was due to some cables being knocked loose during the fix for the first....
We're sorry about them but I'm happy to say that things are looking good overall. I hope that tomorrow goes well. Wish us luck!
Posted by Kaelten Oct 03, 2008 at 05:25 UTC
This is where we stand.
- Repos are fully imported, and to my knowledge we have no open issues regarding them (please correct me if I'm wrong.)
- Files import continues but should be finishing shortly. We've done a breadth scan in order to import files for all projects before doing depth imports.
- Forum import is done, we've also reorganized the forums a few times, we hope it meets your satisfaction, and we hope that if there is some feedback that you'll share it :)
- User accounts did import from the old forums, however there are still some random issues we've found that have a chance of messing things on occasion. A few things to note
- It is possible to have your accounts renamed, please let me know if you want this. ( I do have a list of reqs that I'm going to try to knock out tomorrow.
- If you're not able to log into the forums still let me know. Please confirm this though as we have fixed multiple issues that literally affected THOUSANDS of users each.
- If you are logged into the forums but all your posts are on another account like 'yourname2' or 'user_134234' contact me and we'll get them merged into your main account.
- As of yesterday afternoon projects began syndicating to Curse.com, and showing up in the Curse Client. However WAU will not officially be retired till we get a few more kinks worked out of the CC. We hope to be able to get new builds for PC AND MAC out on Monday. I've been using the mac client for the last few days and its been pretty stable and offers most of the core functionality from the windows version. If you want to help beta test drop my a PM on the forums :)
Here are a few Q&A's that might help you along:
- Q: I miss the old "new posts since my last visit links" from SMF
- A: While not the same there are equivalent features. on the new forums. To see all new posts available on the forums since your last visit click 'New Posts' on the sub nav bar in the forums. To see new replies to your posts you'll have to have subscriptions on the ones you want to track. And can then see all new replies that way.
- Q: OMG! Fixed-width! EWEEEEE!
- A: ITs come to my attention that many of you aren't really a fan of the whole fixed width thing. Therefore I'm reviewing my options on making it optional. Expect something shortly.
- Q: Will/Does the new Curse Client support disembedded addons?
- A: No it does not currently. Yes it will soon.
- Q: What happened to the wiki and all its docs?
- A: It's still available at old.wowace.com. We will be importing articles as time goes on, and you're encouraged to do the same for your projects.
- Q: Where is my mac client! WHERE!! TELL ME NOW!!!!!
- A: First, please don't eat me! Second, right here. We've got the crashes out, and its working pretty well. A few things though
- Back up your addons. Just in Case(tm).
- Not all feature present in windows are 100% implemented, but the core ones are.
- There are still a few known bugs, but we're squashing those daily.
- Bad auto detections should be mostly fixed now, please advise us if you find any!
- Again, disembedded support is not in yet, please be patient while we finish it.
- Q: Will the curse client continue to receive updates, or is it done?
- A: Nope, it will continue to receive updates and fixes, further refinement and features all for you guys for a long time to come.
- Q: How much will this whole, 'premium' thing cost?
- A: For authors? Nothing, we got you on this one. For users? No more than $3.00/month or as little as $20.00 a year. More info in the FAQ linked at the bottom.
- Q: Why should I pay that, or whats what money going towards?
- A: A few things:
- Pay for the service. All that bandwidth fees was eating us alive.
- Future development and services. We want to offer you guys more, A LOT MORE.
- No ads, not that many of you don't block them, and that wowace even has any (anymore we used to, but not now). However, this will apply to the whole of the Curse Network.
- AuthorRewards. Guys I can't stress how cool this is. For the first time authors will be able to reap something for all the hard work they've sown. The authors deserve this hands down. More info in the FAQ linked to below.
We've also been responding to issues:
- More than 10k people had issues logging in, this has been largely if not completely fixed. Please let me know if you're still not able to log in.
- Originally it was announced that the forums would be shared with curseforge, turns out despite their quite at the time people didn't like the idea. So as promised the forums have been separated.
- Usability & Accessibility
- I've tried to make the site easy and intuitive to use. In some cases I've failed, especially for those with poor eyesight. I apologize.
- I'll be adding the ability for the forum to optionally render in variable width mode.
- Timestamps will soon be customizable, both in format and timezone.
- Font sizes. I'm examining several other examples of cleaner typography and I plan to make some changes to this soon.
- Colors. I wanted to keep the old site colors because it'd leave people with at least ONE thing that was familiar. Now that the site is out I will soon feel more free to experiment with them. I hope to eventually offer multiple color schemes, including high contrast, darker, and cool colors.
- Template issues
- Sometimes a really long title will cause things to wrap undesirably, thus forcing the sub nav off the sub nav bar. This is *bad*. I'll be truncating to fix it.
- Diffs currently don't render properly in the change logs on some pages. They fly off the edge of the site.
- Scroll bar when at 1280x1040. I'm aware, and do want to fix this. It's due to the images at the top right iirc.
- The repositories had issues during the import, however we've fixed many(all?) of these. Please report any problems pronto and I'll beat it with a hammer until it works for you.
- When we imported accounts we imported them from the old forums, not from the svn accounts. Therefore the old svn accounts no longer work.
- Some accounts need to be renamed and or merged on the forums. I'll be taking care of these over the next few days. Please notify me if you fall into one of these categories.
Potentially helpful links:
I'll be rereading this after some much needed sleep, and make edits then.
Posted by Kaelten Sep 30, 2008 at 01:05 UTC
Hi guys I've went ahead and swapped the dns records since most of the site is now usable.
So all of you should be seeing this soon.
Here is the status update from the old forum page:
Today is the day that the below plans go into action. Please be patient while we transition to the new site.
While the transition is going on many questions can be answered in our knowledge base. Not all things are documented yet but we are working on it continually.
I'm moving the status messages here, as I've locked the forums.
A few months ago I outlined an massive site upgrade in [ this thread.] The date has moved several times as we've toiled and waited for the stars to align. However, I am pleased to announce that today is the day we carry out the announcement. As a result the site will be disabled in portions while we handle things. We ask for all of your patience as we work today to achieve the transition. We hope it will be a smooth day.
I'll be updating this post and responding here through out the day.
- Pulling fresh dumps on broken repos - 2:50pm CST
- Importing users into the new forums! woot! Almost 1/2 way. - 2:50pm CST
- Resuscitation of the web server :S - 1:00pm CST
- Importing old forum accounts into the auth cloud. - 12:00pm CST
- Back at it to get issues worked out and the damned forums fully imported! - 7:30am CST
- Pausing all forum import until the morning, :( - 9:30pm CST
- Dns change over, even though the forums aren't really done yet. - 7:30pm CST
- Babysitting Impex..... le sigh - 6:50pm CST
- Locking Forums - 6:45pm CST
- Starting to do forums import - 5:20pm CST
- Supplemental and post-processing done! - 5:15pm CST
- Repo import script done! woot! - 4:45pm CST
- Waiting for scripts to run... long script is long... - 11:50am CST
- Started file import - 11:50am CST
- Disabled fisheye - 11:30am CST
- Disabled svn writes on dev.wowace.com - 10:20am CST
- Project Import - 10:20am CST
- Prepwork - 9:00am CST
We're still working on the forum import so please be patient with that.